LCR Honda rider Johann Zarco described his recovery process following his crash at corner one of the Catalan GP in May in an interview with Canal+. The French rider said that two of the three torn ligaments in his knee healed without surgery, describing the situation as almost miraculous.

Both ligaments healed without surgery.

Zarco, 35, had initially aimed for a return in September after the serious accident in which he tore multiple ligaments in his knee. However, recent developments suggest that a comeback may happen sooner. The rider stated that two of the ligaments are healing at an extraordinary rate and that he has regained normal mobility. “Both have healed and are closing very, very well. It’s a bit of a miracle,” he said. Zarco also emphasized that the stress on the knee in motorcycle racing is different compared to disciplines like football or skiing, adding: “I’m not a football player, I’m not a skier. The load on the knee when riding a motorcycle is different.”

Zarco also made clear what would have happened if the surgery decision had been made: “If they still told me I needed surgery —wait, have surgery, then wait again— my season would have been completely ruined. So I’m really happy.”

Returning to the motorcycle in early August.

Zarco has announced that he plans to resume training on his motorcycle in early or mid-August. This schedule makes Silverstone an unrealistic option due to the short time remaining until the British GP in early August. However, the Aragon GP, which will be held in the last week of August, stands out as a possible date for the rider's return to the track. Zarco said on the subject: “I can get back to training; for an athlete, it’s like coming back to life when you get back to training. I don’t want to come back full throttle, I want to come back in good condition and with confidence.”

Double long lap penalty at the German GP.

Following a video conference with MotoGP stewards on Thursday during the German GP weekend, it was announced that Zarco has been penalized with a double long lap for causing the crash in Catalonia. The rider will have to serve this penalty in his first race back on track.

In the same interview, Zarco described his decision to go out on track for a second start in Barcelona as his biggest mistake. Affected by the crash between Pedro Acosta and Alex Marquez, the French rider explained that a piece of debris from Marquez's fall hit his foot, prompting him to pit and remove his boot. “My foot was bruised. I’m angry at myself for going back out when I should have stayed in the pit. It’s amazing to miraculously survive, but it’s important to realize that it could have been prevented,” he said.

Source

By News Center

Türkiye's motorsport news website. F1, MotoGP, Rally and more.

Privacy Policy